Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Lattanzi Ten - 3/18/15

It's the post-St. Patrick's Day hangover, if you had one. Otherwise, it is the day before the Solemnity of St. Joseph, the real feast of this week. Today is the usual mid-week smorgasbord of the interesting, the infuriating, and the intriguing. -- J.L.


For all the whining that has been done recently about the letter 47 Republican Senators "sent" (and by "sent," we mean "posted on Senator Cotton's official website, but let's not allow facts to get in the way) to the apocalyptic mullahs of Iran, the media didn't seem to keen on calling all kinds of efforts undertaken by American groups (with a blind eye turned by the White House) to unseat Benjamin Netanyahu as the Prime Minister of Israel "meddling." 

Good for Mr. Netanyahu, he's an individual who clearly has great love for his country and wants to ensure its survival. One cannot ensure survival by cutting deals with entities that would send a whole army of suicide bombers to his cities and fire rockets nonstop from the "comfort" of "humanitarian" zones such as schools and hospitals. The double standard against Israel has always been infuriating and I can't help but think it is motivated not by concern for the Arabs there, but by pure and simple judenhaas (look it up if you don't know what that is).


Ok, let's try to remember a logical part of argumentation:

Consensus is not scientific.

Consensus is a general agreement of opinion. By definition, then it cannot be scientific. If 97% (which meant 75 of 77 respondents in a survey thought global warming was a problem) think global warming/climate change/manmade climate disruption/whatever they're calling it at 4 PM today is a problem, then what we have is pure circular reasoning. It's no wonder that data has to be manipulated, because then whole thing is nothing but solutions (higher taxes, more state control, more control of population) in search of a problem. 

I've said numerous times, I am an agnostic on the actual science of the changing climate, but if it makes me a "denier" (love that demagogic term!) that I believe it to be arrogance of the highest order to think man can be the cause or the solution to such cyclical issues, then so be it. If people believe than human beings are the problem and we need population control...lead by example. 


Because most Americans will identify by their political loyalty before they do their religious one. As one who considers the Democratic Party to be sick and the Republican Party to be useless (and dumb), I'm not usually a voter that either party will cater to. However, as much as the author (and Salon in general) is wetting herself, most of the outcome truly depends on the candidate, rather than the party, unless you are of a certain age. 

Yes, abortion is the gravest moral evil of our time, and yes the ACA is a horrendous overreach that violates every principle of religious liberty out there, but the voters tend to look at the candidates as being close to them, or as a reaction against something they don't like, and while this article is meant to be some kind of clarion call (maybe?), it's still going to come down to who is running.


I'm so glad that Great Britain is our major forebear of free speech and expression! Oh wait, the kid sent a "racist" (that word again!) tweet? I'm so glad we don't have that kind of problem here.


Outcast the individual, make it clear that it is a socially unacceptable behavior, make it clear that people are more than their pigmentation, but really...arresting people...and a minor, to boot. Like I said, I am so glad that sort of thing never happens here.


When I go to Starbucks (rare as it is), I want my coffee, and I want to be left alone. I pay for it (or use my gift card - I've never actually spent my own money on overpriced coffee in my life!) and then I go mix the cocktail of Splenda and half and half. I have no interest in talking to an aspiring poet/women's studies major/actor a "barista" about the ills of the world. None. I just want my coffee, especially since it is 7 AM and I am not completely awake. 



This has a local angle - Hyattsville (where I work) and Takoma Park (couple towns over) have started allowing 16 year old kids (yes, they are kids) to vote in municipal elections. I teach many 16 year old students, and let's just say that while there are a few who would take the time to appreciate the various civic issues, most would not. Hell, there are many adults (many of whom who have some formal higher education) who go into a booth and pull the lever for the letter, whether D or R, rather than looking at the issues.


I'm sure the NSA will know soon enough how much water I use when I stay at the hotel in Ohio when we visit my in-laws. I'm so glad they are interested in what I use. Oh, it's about environment, you say? Then why are we not investing in more treatment plants for waste water rather than invading our personal habits?

Because the environmentalist agenda is about controlling people. It is only secondarily (or even a tertiary concern) about the actual environment. 


I find it amusing that the head of the Secret Service says the best way to avoid incidents like drunk driving into fences is to build a replica training White House...

...in Beltsville!

I really would love to know where they would put this. In the USDA area off Powder Mill Road? Or by the library off Route 1? Come on New York Times...find out for us!


On February 27th, I wrote the following:

"Net Neutrality" was passed in an FCC vote of 3-2. This is even more oligarchical than the Supreme Court, which at least has public oral arguments. The reclassification of the internet to a public utility under Title II of the Communications Act of 1934 is only going to benefit a few:


1) Those who play ball with whomever is in charge
2) Civic ISPs who can undercut commercial ISPs by forcing the latter to pay for them. Of course, by "the latter", it will come in the form of a) higher costs of the service and b) taxes on the bill, just as we have on our phone bills.
Ajit Pai, one of the FCC Commissioners who opposed the re-classification of the internet under Title II, said the following yesterday:
"They're going to be a number of different effects over the coming months and years … Most immediately what is going to happen is that the FCC has now explicitly opened the door to an increase in the tax that is going to be placed on broadband. I would imagine in the next month or two we're going to see for the first time taxes placed on broadband bills. Your bill is going to go up. In the longer term, some of the more incidental effects are going to be a reduction to the amount of competition."
If it is treated like a phone company, we will pay for it like a phone company, including a worsening of already pretty crappy service. 


Ok, I'm not really that excited about the possibility of  the Eagles signing Tim Tebow, and I am definitely in the minority when I say that I believe Tebow can have moderate success if (a BIG if) he is used properly. The Jets failed at this because it was as plain as day that when he came in he was going to run a quarterback draw. He needs to be lined up in different spots, with a possibility of a dual threat - option passes, throwback passes, as a blocker, a runner, a receiver, a tight end, wherever he can be placed. Chip Kelly may be the guy who can figure this out (or not). So we shall see. 


A world run by women would be just as dangerous a place as it is with men running it; it would just show up in a different way. Power, envy, avarice, and wrath are universal to human beings regardless of sex; they just manifest themselves in different fashions. The question is, do you prefer it up front or in a more insidious way? Either way, we all die. 

No comments:

Share...