Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday Observations - 2/22/2015

I used to do these every Sunday for a long time. It's not going to be like The Ten; this is much more of a stream of consciousness set of random thoughts, like Peter King's "Things I Think I Think" but much MUCH better. -- J.L.

- How about this weather? It's February, and on several consecutive days, we have had a) numerous squalls, b) record low temps, c) wind that could simultaneously knock people over and freeze their faces off, d) 6-7 inches of snow followed by an inch of ice, and e) today - 45 degrees with bright sunshine. Bets on people who are ill tomorrow? 

- I always used to use this set of ramblings to comment on how high the price of gas was. Almost exactly three years ago, the price I paid per gallon was $3.57; yesterday, I paid $2.29, although that's 35 cents higher than the low from about a month ago, and it was $1.76 on 1/20/2009.

- The Oscars are going to be on! And I don't give a damn. The Oscars is just a thing that I want to read the list of winners. They are answers to trivia questions. I've never cared for awards shows, or ceremonies for that matter. Graduation is pretty much the only "awards" ceremony I like. 

- Have I mentioned that I love British television? Sunday nights until it's baseball season is a great time to catch up on some old BBC classics such as Are You Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, and Blackadder

- It is amusing to see the media twist itself into knots just to try and get Scott Walker into a gotcha! moment. It speaks volumes that the best they can do is ask him his views on evolution and whether he thinks Barack Obama is a Christian. I gave my thoughts on this four years ago. I still believe that the media takes the Seinfeldian view while denying that the President is a Muslim (i.e., "not that there's anything wrong with that").

- It's the Feast of the Chair of St. Peter. While many may think it has to do with an actual chair, it's more akin to the seat of authority than to an actual chair. It's a reminder of the authority vested by Christ himself in Peter: "thou art Peter, and upon this Rock I shall build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not defeat it" (Matthew 16:18).

Tomorrow is the next Lattanzi Ten. Come on back, y'all, hear?

No comments:

Share...