Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Obligatory College Football Post...

I don't care much for college football, although I do watch just enough to stay abreast of what's going on.  For example, I know that Alabama is the best team in the country after absolutely destroying Notre Dame last night.  And I was full of glee...

Why?  Because I loathe the Notre Dame football program.  It is probably the most overrated college football team in history.  Now, keep in mind, I don't dislike the University of Notre Dame; in fact, I regard it as a fine institution of higher learning and I root for its basketball team (lots of DeMatha connections).  

I can't stand the fan base of the team.  However, if you attended Notre Dame or had a close family member go, you are exempted from this criticism.  It reminds me way too much of fans of the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, and Duke basketball.  Part of this is the shameless way they got their own television contract from NBC, thus giving them national exposure in a way that is for the most part unwarranted.  It's not an accident that they have not won anything of consequence since moving to NBC - sell your soul and not even the patronage of Our Lady will be enough!

The other reason I have never like the football team is the constant yabbering I get from people (including my own father) about how it's all about "Catholic pride" to root for Notre Dame.  I call BS, and thus from my young days, I have rooted for Notre Dame football to fail.  I don't premise my rooting for sports teams on some misguided religious basis, and I am certainly not Irish (although I married Irish), and the most important thing...I have no connection to the University of Notre Dame, other than having some friends who attended, which doesn't count.  

So with that being said.  Congratulations to Alabama for beating the crap out of the football team of the University of Notre Dame. 

No comments:

Share...