Monday, November 26, 2012

One Year Later...

Well, at least one liturgical year later, that is.

So all the hand-wringing that came in the run up to the implementation of the 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal has pretty much fallen by the wayside.  The people who wanted to complain were going to complain one way or another, because that's what people like to do.  

While I have memorized the Creed and the Gloria, many still use the cards in the pew racks, which is absolutely fine; my grandmother has read along with the Creed for as long as I can remember, current or old translations.

What is your favorite part?  I like the re-translation of the Institution Narrative of the Eucharistic Prayer the best.  I commented that the most important aspects were the re-translating of calix into 'chalice' instead of 'cup' and pro multis into 'for many' rather than 'for all'.  I also particularly enjoy the removal of the profane from the Mass and the re-emphasis on the sacred.  Consider all the royal-style language placed back in - all of the "O" references (O Lord, O God, et cetera), as if we are addressing the King of the Universe, rather than our beer guzzling buddy at the bar, Jeeezus!

The most ironic complaint I have heard during the implementation of the revised Missal was that the Church didn't care about the people's feelings in doing this.  God forbid that we actually experience the other while we are attending the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.  If I wanted a damn social meeting, I'd go join the Kiwanis!  Mass is the other - it is the Wedding Feast of the Lamb.  God forbid also that the Church require standards for its members and require them to boost their vocabulary   The horror!  It shouldn't be lowest common denominator-style of worship; it should be elevating, it should be vertical.  It's not about us.

Repeat after me - the Mass is not about us.

I was always behind this change as soon as it was announced; I didn't care beforehand, but the first couple of times I attended the Mass in Latin (Mass of Paul VI, not of Pius V - the "Tridentine" Mass), I got the keen sense that we weren't saying things correctly in English.  I said it in the initial post linked at the very top that had we gotten this right in 1969-70, all of these problems never would have occurred.  Instead, you end up with the same people who were clamoring for vernacular in the liturgy ironically bitching because we now have better vernacular in the liturgy.

So you know what I have to say.  What say you?

No comments:

Share...