Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Most Audacious Plan? I Think Not...

The Vice President was at a fundraiser and said the following about the plan to kill Osama bin Laden:
“You can go back 500 years. You cannot find a more audacious plan. Never knowing for certain. We never had more than a 48 percent probability that he was there.”
If this were mere hyperbole, I would just roll my eyes and move on, but I think the veep believes this.

Let's name ten examples of military expeditions that were, in fact, more audacious in the past five hundred years...

1) The Six-Day War (Israel - 1967)
2) The Landing at Inchon (US/UN - 1950)
3) The Normandy Invasion (US/Allies 1944)
4) The Battle of the Bulge (Germany - 1944)
5) The Pearl Harbor attack (Japan - 1941)
6) Gallipoli assault (France/Britain - 1915)
7) Pickett's Charge (Confederacy - 1863)
8) Napoleon's Russian Invasion (France - 1812)
9) Washington's Crossing (Continentals -1776)
10) The Gunpowder Plot (Catesby/Fawkes - 1605)

I am sure there are quite a few more too.  

Don't get me wrong, the killing of Osama bin Laden was a good thing - which I said when it happened - but I think that this little episode with Mr. Biden just reeks of desperate campaigning. It reminds me of Al Bundy reminding everyone that he scored four touchdowns in a game, even years after the fact.  The President deserves the credit - fine.  But what has he done since?  

I'm not sure Biden knows the answer to that question.

No comments:

Share...