Friday, January 20, 2012

Law Of Intended Consequences...

YOU. MUST. OBEY!
Close to six months ago, I blogged that it looked like the Obama administration was going to order insurance companies and health plans to cover contraception without any co-pays.


Starting August 1 of this year (religiously affiliated organizations get a one-year 'delay' and have to be in compliance by August 1 of next year)

Our ever delightful Secretary of Health and Human Services said the following...
“This decision was made after very careful consideration, including the important concerns some have raised about religious liberty,” Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement. “I believe this proposal strikes the appropriate balance between respecting religious freedom and increasing access to important preventive services."
The appropriate balance between respecting religious freedom and increasing access to important preventive services.  How...Orwellian.

Before anyone goes off and screams about how intolerant I am and how I just 'don't understand', bear in mind that I am not in favor of banning contraception; as I said in the aforementioned linked post, I just don't want my taxes or my premium costs to subsidize it.  It should be paid for in its entirety by the one who seeks access to the, ahem, 'preventive service'.

The deeper problem is not even necessarily about birth control, but rather about how much control we are going to give the state over what we should and should not have to tolerate being forced upon us.  I suggested back in August that the administration is either incompetent or malevolent in their inability to understand that someone is going to have to pick up the tab for 'free' contraception (or any other elective drug or medical procedure, for that matter).  

I am leaning toward the latter, because it would seem that the ultimate plan of the 'Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act' is the destruction of private insurance in this country and a slide toward single-payer healthcare, which is why I entitled this post the way I did.  If this endgame is what you wanted all along, congratulations, you are already a good part of the way there.  If not, the long and slow slide toward single-payer will be all the more painful.  The only way to stop it is to repeal the bill in its entirety.  The Supreme Court will probably not help much.  

Repeal.  That's the only hope.  

No comments:

Share...