Monday, December 5, 2011

BCS Whining...

There used to be a time when I was as against the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) as the next guy.

Not any longer.

Does this mean I care about it?  Not really - as most people who know me well know, I am not that big of a fan of college football anyway. You should be able to tell by the dearth of posting I make concerning the subject.  Also throw in the fact that I have been known to defend the BCS against meddling do-gooders who try to fight one vice (greed) by using another (envy).  Hmmm, kinda like how the Occupy Wall Street movement operates...

But I digress...

The latest BCS berths have been announced and #1 LSU will play against #2 Alabama in a rematch of an earlier season game in which LSU won 9-6.  People are upset that Oklahoma State isn't 'getting their chance' to show that they can hold their own against LSU.

Too bad.  

I still advocate a playoff in college football - and there is a way to do it, but so long as the major conferences make this deal to line their pockets with television money, nothing will ever move forward with regard to a playoff system.  We can keep whining about it, but in all honesty how much has that accomplished?  Not a single iota of change.  I have decided that I am just not going to waste my breath anymore yelling and screaming about the inherent unfairness of the current system.  The BCS needs that bitching; it thrives on it - for it believes the axiom that 'any publicity is good publicity' - and there is a lot of truth to it.  The very fact that entire fan bases whine about being screwed over for the national championship game continues to give fuel to the BCS fire and does more to sustain the system than eliminate it.

The only way it will stop is for people to stop going and stop watching, which will never happen.  People don't have the discipline to just ignore the savagery known as college football, in the name of 'tradition' and other things.  Knowing these things, I have just decided to stop caring and learn to love and embrace the system.

It's not going anywhere, and that's the fact, Jack.

No comments:

Share...