Thursday, October 6, 2011

An Underrated Disney Song...

The Lion King is one of my favorite movies of all time - and we even own the sequel and the surprisingly amusing Lion King 1 1/2.  Most people who like the original film (and most Disney animated films) will talk about and sing the songs.  There are a lot of great songs in it - "Circle of Life", "Hakuna Matata", and "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" all come to mind.  My favorite, however, is one that is not of those three; instead, it is the platform of the evil uncle Scar: "Be Prepared".  Watch:


Jeremy Irons is absolutely outstanding in his role as Scar, and the animation and the scenes that go with the song are downright haunting.  The interplay between Scar and the hyenas (a marriage made in hell, if I ever saw one) is funny, well-written, and creepy all at the same time.  The sight of hyenas goose-stepping didn't really register when my grandmother took me and my brother to see it in 1994 (this was the famous big purse scene I mentioned in my eulogy - high comedy, indeed), but watching it as an adult with a sense of history is a bit chilling.  Scar might as well have promised bread and circus to all the hyenas.  Actually, come to think of it, he wasn't far off from that...

"Stick with me, and you'll never go hungry again!!"

No one mentions this song as a great one in the annals of Disney music, so it goes into the books as one of the most underrated songs in the canon.

No comments:

Share...