Monday, September 12, 2011

They Are ALL Terrible...

Just browsing around on Yahoo and I stumbled upon this article (a Consumer Reports one via Yahoo) that compares all the different 'celebrity' pasta sauces.  I have had a few of them, but none can hold a candle to the sauces made by grandmother (meat sauce) or my mother (marinara).  Call me a homer and call me a snob, but that's the way it is.   

It's the same reason that I can't really be bothered to eat at Italian restaurants (especially Olive Garden), although the occasional hole in the wall 'mom and pop' restaurant can be good.  I have spent most of my life eating homemade Italian deliciousness and thus anything processed or quick-made in a restaurant or a jar is by nature going to be inferior.  I can appreciate effort, though, and as such I will enjoy anyone's attempt at homemade Italian food.  

Ragu and Prego, on the other hand, just make me want to retch...

3 comments:

Doyler said...

Olive Garden is crap from a plastic bag boiled in water... literally.

The funny thing about Italian cuisine is that it's mostly "peasant" food, like your aforementioned marinara. If you have many generations of relative poverty, you get creative.

Joshua Lattanzi said...

You are absolutely right. The stuff I like is what my parents (and grandparents) called 'peon food'. Look at Polenta - it's nothing but cornmeal mush congealed into a dish, but it is apparently a 'delicacy' now, according to the trendy eating places. Ick.

Nick said...

AMEN!

Share...