Monday, August 29, 2011

Irene Off-Day Musings...

It's counter-intuitive  to say, but while I enjoy having this offday, I really was looking forward to the start of another school year.  We had been through meetings and the freshman orientation last week, and so it wasn't just a cold re-start; we had been warmed up a little bit leading into this week.  Unfortunately, the weather had other plans, especially when Ms. Irene knocked the power out to hundreds of thousands of my fellow 'Mer-landers'.

Here is a look at the Pepco Map...


And the BGE (of which is used to power the Lattanzi Land Headquarters) outage map...


We were incredibly fortunate not to have lost our power at all even as it rained for twenty-four straight hours and had wind gusts of fifty to sixty miles per hour frequently.  Others in our neighborhood were not so fortunate.  We went out yesterday and discovered that many were without power.  Just a few flickers here and a little bit of flooding were the order of the day.  

Now that it is Monday, I have taken the time to do a few things just to keep busy - getting my school stuff up to date, sweeping the back porch, smoking a cigar, watching The Price Is Right, and now blogging while watching Armageddon.  The Phillies will be on later, but now as it approaches the two o'clock hour here on the east coast, I need to kill some more time.      

Today reminded me a lot of the aftermath of Hurricane Floyd in 1999 (to which I alluded in my PSA on Friday).  We got off on a nice and sunny day when the temperature was only in the 70's (pretty cool for late August/early September).  I think Dustin and I went and got lunch while playing Sega.  Fun days those were, although our basement in College Park got flooded to the bejeezus that day (it was situated in a former swamp).   

Later this week we will begin our NFL 2011 Season previews, and with the football and baseball seasons running concurrently, it will be a busy time here.  Granted, I blog more about the Eagles than I do about the Phillies, but the reasons for that can be found here. Once the season actually starts, Ryan and I will be doing our weekly picks once again, and this year I hope to completely destroy him, but alas, they do have to actually play the games.  

So sue me if I say come back, school.  What will this year bring?  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Share...