Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Four "Price Is Right" Contestants...

I have been watching The Price Is Right for about twenty-five years now and like any fan of the show, I have my favorite games and events.  But of more interest to me are the contestants themselves.  Using a large enough sample in watching, I have developed a theory as to the prototypical contestants.  There are four main ones...

1) College students - you see them permeate the audience, taking a day trip from whatever school they attend in the hopes of being selected to Contestants' Row. If they were anything like me, they probably watch the show at 11:00 in the dining hall while eating lunch.  It was a quasi-religious ritual

2) Charismatic black women - controversial?  Perhaps, but remember that the people who select contestants are looking for telegenic and outgoing candidates.  A game show is tailor-made and screaming for stereotypes in some sense, because it drives up ratings.

3) Old people - just pay attention to the commercials CBS runs during the 11:00 hour.  What products are they selling?  Power chairs, denture adhesives, small-amount life-insurance policies, diabetes supplies, and adult diapers.  Are there any questions?

4) Military personnel - almost always in their full uniform and it allows CBS to show its support of the troops, something that Drew Carey is especially known to do, being a former Marine.  

Those are the main four that make up close to about 80% of the contestants.  The other 20% comprise of...everyone else: southern housewives, gangsters, middle-aged men living in their mom's basement, twenty-somethings who desperately want to be in college again, Drew Carey fanboys (or fangirls), and midgets.  I usually take note that out of the nine contestants who are told to 'Come on down!', three at most are from this 20%, and that's not as common as one would think, at least in my observation...

But I could be wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the most controversial part of this show. How hard to spin the wheel, which to this day still gets debabed by fellow PIR viewers... Dustin

Share...