Saturday, August 20, 2011

Foolish People...

Some time ago, I wrote a list of my top pet peeves.  I had said that when I have more, I would add them. Consider this to be an addendum to the list...

One thing that people tend to prattle on and on about is this notion that society 'just cannot ever legislate morality'.  You hear it a lot in the abortion and same-sex marriage debates, among other things.  It doesn't even matter where in the political spectrum the person is, it is very much a meme that has been repeated to the point of being a complete and utter cliché.  However, it is wrong, completely wrong, and it is a thought that needs to be changed.

Repeat after me - all laws are legislated morality.  What's that?  All law is legislated morality? How can that be?  It's actually pretty obvious when you start looking at the laws - against murder, stealing, assault, beating children, and so forth.  All of it is based on the premise that such a things are inherently wrong.  

The real question should not be 'can society legislate morality' (because it most certainly can), but rather, whose morality should society legislate?  Unfortunately, for many people this is an uncomfortable question in these times of relativism and political correctness due to the fact that it (the question) acknowledges that someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong.  It's so much easier to just question whether or not morality can even be legislated. But that, of course, is just a misdirection to avoid the harder question of which morality is the right one.  But it's a direction that needs to be shifted.

Until then, it's just a big dead end.

3 comments:

The Doll said...

Pretty sure the near-sighted octegenarian philo 101 prof who repeatedly told us that he was sickly due to not being breastfed (way back in 1920 when baby formula was apparently made of ground plaster) would have some kind of comment here. Now I didn't pay attention in that class, all that rights of man and rights of society whatnot fishfishfish, I just find it interesting that several *millenia* later both you and nearsighted nonbreastfed octengenarian philo professors are still debating Sophistic Relativisism vs Platonian Form of the Good. That class made me want to lobotomize myself or committ seppuku but I guess I should have taken notes, cuz it looka like this might be a philosophical debate for all millenia to come. HA! And I thought my friend with the doctorate in Philo was engaging in academic vanity!

The Doll said...

poop I wish I could upload images. I came up with a HILARIOUSLY clever photo/words meme at about 2am to illustrate same. I even looked up the old school html code to insert it but, alas. There are enough pics of cats on the internet already, I guess.

Joshua Lattanzi said...

You bring up a bunch of non-sequiturs and such, but no actual rebuttals to the argument. Where am I wrong?

Share...