Wednesday, May 18, 2011

We're All Doomed!!!

It's amazing how fast people will fall for yet another end of the world scenario. This Saturday at 6 PM is the alleged 'rapture', and as I said on a recent Facebook status update, it won't matter to me anyway; I'm Catholic and therefore am not a 'real Christian' according to these people, so the chances of me being raptured are less than zero as it is.

Nevertheless, as I have said on this blog before, it is irritating as hell to see supposedly professed Christians fall for such nonsense, especially alleged 'Bible-believing' Christians.  For as much as they say they are Biblical literalists - I have yet to see the evidence of this with regard to the topic.

Despite my exasperation with my fellow Christians (even those who do not extend to me the same courtesy of the title of 'Christian'), I have had a lot of fun with this in class.  I have even put up a countdown clock in the classroom to keep track of how much time before 6 PM on Saturday.


I joked that the thing I am most upset about is why this has to happen in the early evening. Why do the Europeans get to have a full evening of partying prior to this occurring?  The people on the west coast get three less hours than I do here on the east coast - an obvious miscarriage of justice.

Anyway, when 6 PM comes on Saturday afternoon and nothing happens, toast a Yuengling (or whatever other adult beverage of your choice) to the fact that the Lord knows better than our fellow man about his own return.  Feel free to tease those who believed it, but remind them of the words they are supposed to believe...
"But of that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone" (Matthew 24:36)
Enjoy your Sunday...and Monday, and every day thereafter.

No comments:

Share...