Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Happy St. Patrick's Day

That greeting is for those who celebrate the actual saint for whom the day is named.  Otherwise, today is just plain old March 17th. In honor of Saint Patrick, I wanted to include one of my favorite prayers...it's just a piece of the Prayer of Saint Patrick, but I have always enjoyed it...

Christ shield me today
Against wounding
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

One of the fascinating parts of the prayer is the request for protection against witches and sorcery which, given the pagan doom and gloom that was the Emerald Isle in his time, makes perfect sense.

St. Patrick, pray for us.

No comments:

Share...