Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Skoal Settlement...

The news came out today that the parent company of tobacco labels Skoal and Copenhagen will pay a settlement of five million dollars to the family of a man who died from mouth cancer seven years ago.  This was in response to a lawsuit, but by settlement, they won't have to admit liability.

Ok, this is just stupid.  

I am sorry.  I don't understand why these lawsuits ever actually get in front of a judge.  If I start a bad habit that is completely within my control, then I shouldn't be able to sue the company for my not being able to stop.  The cigarette lawsuits of the 90's are another example of stupidity winning out.  Technically, under this mindset, I should, as a diabetic, sue the Coca-Cola Company for my condition.  Hey, they kept marketing to me and God knows that my Coke habit (pardon the pun) was very much responsible for the state in which I am.  

The way I see it, the litigious mentality we have and the notion that we aren't responsible for what we do is just another example of how Calvinism has so thoroughly infiltrated our culture. Despite the fact we as a society are not particularly religious anymore, the tentacles of Calvinism still run so deep that they manifest themselves in many different ways.

No comments:

Share...