Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Political Blogging and a Massive Digression

For the most part, I try to avoid blogging about political issues. Why? Because political blogging/column-izing is a dime-a-dozen operation. You can find anything to suit your particular needs in the blogosphere and on the internet.

Run of the mill liberal? Go read The New Republic, or Slate, or any of the blogs on the Washington Post or New York Times website.

Run of the mill conservative? National Review Online, Weekly Standard, and Red State will suit you just fine.

If you are more on the loony side (either one), you can read Andrew Sullivan, or The Nation, or Pat Buchanan, or WorldNetDaily.

For the record, I read all of these things (yes, even the loony stuff - though, more for the train-wreck-but-I-can't-look-away qualities), whether in hard-print or online. It's not easy to pigeonhole me into a nice and neat little ideological package, and I aim to keep it that way.

That being said - when it comes to the political stuff, there are two types of people I can't stand more than any other kind - posers (no, I don't spell it the French way) and victims.

When it comes to posers, the attempt to put on airs just pisses me off. In a lot of ways, I just don't care for posers in every day life either. If you are ashamed of where you came from and feel like you need to 'make it' by pretending to be more sophisticated, as if you are Eliza Doolittle needing your own Henry Higgins, that isn't my problem. I may be educated, but God knows that I don't come from high class people. I would rather eat at McDonald's or an IHOP than some 5-star restaurant. I would rather sit around shooting the breeze talking about whatever than touring a vineyard or a museum. I like my radio loud and obnoxious (I really, really hate NPR and its church-like hushed tones of broadcasting), and I like my conversation fast-paced and witty, similar to the earlier episodes of Gilmore Girls (but without all the chickification).

This is who I am - nothing more, and nothing less. If you don't like it, that's too bad. My mother taught me that not everyone is going to like me, and vice versa. I got comfortable with that idea by the age of 12, and haven't looked back since.

As for the victims - what. We have an entire class of professional victims in our society, and it is rather disgusting. Anything we say or do could be deemed 'offensive' by anyone and could cost us, especially if the 'offended party' is a member of an approved professionalized victim group.

Closer to home, is the mentality that 'it's not my fault' - best exemplified in our president, who seems to want to blame his predecessor for all the ills that are happening. Wah wah wah! I failed the test? Teacher's fault! (Yes, I have heard that numerous times) I robbed a 7-11? Poverty drove me to crime! I smoke 73 joints per day? I had a rough childhood! Try personal responsibility. No one made anyone fail a test, rob a bank, or smoke weed. People can avoid these problems. No, I am not advocating a pure 'pull yourselves up by the bootstraps' mentality; you can get help for these things so you aren't alone in conquering your issues. But it can be done, and if you continue to fall prey to it, you need to own up to your own responsibility in starting to begin with.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I'm not really sure how much blame Obama puts on the previous administration. The accusations that he does more often seem like stretching and wordplay on the part of his opponents. He's repeatedly taken responsibility for things that Republicans accuse him or blame Bush/Cheney on. The Christmas day bombing attempt is a good example. Acknowledging that a policy or system has existed for longer than a year is different than saying its Bush's fault. So I wonder if there's a good impartial source out there on this.

On an unrelated note, I noticed something interesting. The mainstream liberal outlets you list are all "broader." For example, the Washington Post probably has an entertainment section, local section, etc. I wondered if you thought there was anything to that.

Joshua Lattanzi said...

Nothing to it. Just naming blogs, for the most part. The Post most certainly does have a Metro section and a Style (Entertainment) section. The editorial slants lean liberal, and while both the Post and the Times have their token non-liberals (Douthat, Ponnuru), most of the political blogs on their respective sites share the editorial outlook of their organizations.

Share...