Thursday, September 17, 2009

September 17th

It has been already about 3 weeks since the start of the school year. It has been a tiring, but satisfying three weeks. This year, I have decided to go hi-tech in disseminating information - power points, the use of YouTube in the classroom, a timer on the screen for quizzes, a picture of the day, and a whole slew of other things. It's been quite exciting, but at the same time, a bit scary - let me explain.

When I started teaching a few years ago, I was very much old-school, even at the ripe old age of 22. I did all chalkboard writing and was very straightforward (read: plain). It's taken a while, but I have 'caught up with the times'. The reason this is a little scary is that I don't really have a safety net. I have put most of the eggs in one basket and therefore it has to succeed. In the words of Karl Malden as General Omar Bradley in Patton: "if you succeed, you're a big hero...if you fail, what happens to those kids?"

Obviously, this is not a life and death situation as the Sicily campaign was in 1943, but there is a certain truth to the idea that the students are lab rats for my new methods in teaching. We shall see...kids seem to be enjoying the show so far. Hopefully they enjoy it all the way through May 30, 2010.

No comments:

Share...