Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Plaxico Burress = Moron

Plexiglass has been indicted on weapons charges for accidentally shooting himself in a club a few months ago. If convicted, the story says, he could face at least 3.5 years in the slammer for it.

That would be a mistake.

Plaxico Burress is a moron, but being a moron isn't necessarily against the law. I would say the embarrassment alone of trying to carry a gun in sweatpants and gaining a self-inflicted wound should be sufficient. He didn't wound or hurt anyone with his weapon, and the mere possession of one should only be grounds for probation. Instead, the DA wants to make a show of this. Initially, I was in favor of a harsh sentence, but then I thought better, especially as a prospective gun owner*.

Don't get me wrong - I am not that sympathetic to Burress, but I do believe that the DA and Mayor Bloomberg are overstepping their bounds just to make themselves looking 'tough'.

*As in I want to keep my options open in the future, not that I am going to go out and buy one today.

No comments:

Share...