Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Media's Cultural Manipulation

Before anyone accuses me of going on some sort of rant about 'cultural elitists' manipulating us into some sort of herd-think, let me make my point first. Then you can pile on!

I am speaking of pieces like this, in which Yahoo! names the '25 Funniest People in Movies'. I am not necessarily opposed to stories/slideshows like this, but at the same time, I tend to be a bit suspicious when the public at large is told who is funny or not by self-appointed 'critics'. I think we can decide who is funny and who is not without being told from on high who to like and who to go see. I hated it as a kid when my parents wouldn't take me to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles just because Siskel and Ebert panned it (Two thumbs down...no kidding!), as if they were the final word on it.

Like many things in this world, the power of the purse decides who is funny and good at their crafts. If an actor isn't good - his movies or shows bomb and he is unemployed. If a comedian isn't funny, he goes back to waiting tables. No one, not even the film hacks from Yahoo!, are going to ever convince me that certain actors are funny. Not even for a million bucks.

No comments:

Share...