Monday, August 17, 2009

An Interesting Question

Adam V. puts forth this question about the characters of M*A*S*H:
Given the age of the doctors and such, why weren't any of them drafted in WWII [as regular soldiers]?
My best guess would be that many of them were in college at the time and thus got deferrals from the draft. Consider the fact that most people didn't attend college at all prior to the end of that particular war (with the G.I. Bill), and so there would be a need to protect certain people to make sure that particular professions would go on - unlike, say, during the Vietnam era when people would go into college/grad school specifically to avoid the draft.

My alternate theory is that the creators and writers of the show didn't even bother considering this point and therefore 1950 is the starting point of history and World War II didn't happen.

1 comment:

Paula said...

My vote is the latter. I'm sure the writers didn't even think about it.

Share...