Sunday, August 2, 2009

Entitlement Mentality Strikes Again

When I saw the headline, I thought it was something out of The Onion:

College Grad Can't Find Job, Wants $$$ Back (NBC New York, via Drudge)

27 year old chick is suing her college because she didn't get a *great* job upon graduating. Seems to me that a growing number of people think that graduating entitles them to a *great* (whatever the hell that means) job. It also demonstrates the confusion among my generation of what precisely a college education is for. I'll confess, I got the exact job I wanted all along upon completion of my college education. I am among the lucky ones. But that doesn't happen for a lot (or even most) people. However, it still doesn't take away from the fact that a college education was never intended to be job training - it was intended to be a growing of the mind and an expansion of knowledge. We treat it too much like the former, while neglecting the essential character of the latter.

No comments:

Share...